Wednesday, January 12, 2005

A blog dedicate to my beloved pets “Sugar” and “Duke

It was Easter Monday morning around 3 - 4 am when I lost my beloved dog “Sugar” 7 years ago. That morning was cold and snow was everywhere. I held him all night until I thought he was fast asleep not knowing he felt into a coma. I laid him down on the couch and slept on the one right next to him just in case he woke up and I’ll be there for him. A breeze of wind woke me up, I went to see him and he was gone, his body was still warmed. I cried out and rushed upstairs to let my family know. All through the morning I stood by the window looking out, feeling lost and empty. I felt bad because a year ago, the Vet had told me that he was dying and I should think of putting him down because of his kidney failure. I didn’t have the will power to do so and I tried to pamper him as much as I could. He wouldn’t eat anything except beef jerky. So I bought beef jerky for him every other day for a year. The store keeper said to me that I must like beef jerky very much. By watching him suffered all night and died, I was angry at myself for never spoiled him when he was alive. Maybe I should have let him go as the Vet suggested. I then promised myself that I wouldn’t make the same mistake again. I was so lost for a month and suddenly I saw a web site pleading someone to adopt a Boston terrier. I replied right away and sent info of my family background. They replied and we met in the Mall. They were very particular on who to choose because they loved Duke very much and they decided to choose me. I was so happy. Dave (my son) and I went to pick Duke up. I sat with Duke at the back seat to comfort him and Dave turned his head when he came to a stop and told me that Duke looks like an alien, later on my husband told me that Duke looks like Yoda in Star War. I didn’t care how he looks, I just love him and have decided to spoil him. I would go out of my way, bought all sorts of clothing, toys and lots of hugs and kisses. Duke was the first in my mind before my family. Six months ago he got blinded with cataract on both eyes. Vet again suggested that laser surgery will not work on that type of dogs but they will learn to live with it. He was doing really well, my husband installed a gate upstairs so he couldn’t fall downstairs. We left the TV on, lit up the house with lights whenever we were out because he could still see the lights. On Christmas week I was told that Duke needed a rabies shock not knowing that plus stress from blindness could tricker the seizer. We were rushing Duke to emergency twice in two days and he had total of eight seizers in three days. Cin had to record them as the doctor in emergency told us to do. By the forth day, Duke was really suffering, his mind was gone and I knew I have to make the decision to let him go. That morning we didn’t wake up Cin, my husband and I took Duke in to see our regular Vet and he also suggested it is the best. I then had to decide what type of burial for Duke and type of urn to put his ashes while my husband was alone with Duke. My husband is devastated as of today. Tonight, I’m going to pick up Duke’s ashes. We plan to bury his ashes right next to Sugar in the garden. Pets are lovely to have, but the pains of loosing them are just too much to handle. sigh ….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home